Cost to form a Texas LLC
How much does it cost to register an LLC in Texas?
Other Potential LLC Formation Costs in Texas
- Convenience Fee ($8.10). If the Certificate of Formation is filed online or the filing fee is paid with a credit card, there is an additional $8.10 convenience fee (2.7% of $300) charged by the state to cover the additional credit card processing fees.
- Optional Expediting Fee ($25). If the Certificate of Formation is filed via fax or mail, you'll want to consider paying an extra $25 to expedite the filing (online filings cannot and need not be expedited). Expedited fax and mail filings take about 10 business days, while non-expedited fax/mail filings take closer to 2 months.
- Optional Professional Registered Agent (~$120/year). The registered agent is the person designated by the LLC to receive legal notices (i.e., notice of a lawsuit). Typically, one of the LLC's owners will serve as the registered agent and there will be no added costs. If, however, you choose to hire a professional registered agent, you can expect to pay an additional $40 to $350 per year.
- Service Fee. There is an additional service fee if you hire an attorney (or use an online formation service) to form your Texas LLC and prepare the LLC's governing documents. Our LLC formation fee is $400 and outlined in detail below.
Our LLC Formation Service Fee:
We charge a flat fee of $400 (+ the state filing fee described above) to create a Texas LLC.
Our Texas LLC formation service includes (1) attorney consultation; (2) a preliminary name availability search; (3) expedited preparation of the Certificate of Formation; (4) expedited filing of the Certificate of Formation; (5) customized Company Agreement; (6) Organizational Meeting with a banking resolution; (7) the required Membership Transfer Ledger; and (8) an eight page instructional/guidance letter that includes all kinds of good information on using the LLC. For an additional $75, we can get the LLC's federal tax ID (aka EIN) too.
+State Filing Fee
What LLC filing options are available in Texas?...and what is the cost of each filing method?
There are four ways to submit a Certificate of Formation in Texas (listed in order of processing speed):
- SOS Direct - $300 + $8.10 (2.7% convenience fee)
- SOS Upload - $300 + $8.10 (2.7% convenience fee)
- Expedited Filing by Fax or Mail - $300 + $25 expediting fee (+2.7% convenience fee if paid via credit card)
- Non-Expedited Filing by Fax or Mail - $300 (+2.7% convenience fee if paid via credit card)
How much does it cost to register a Foreign LLC in Texas LLC?
An LLC formed outside of Texas (a "foreign LLC") that does business in Texas must register in Texas. The filing fee for the Application to Register Foreign LLC in Texas is $750 (+2.7% convenience fee if paid with credit card).
If you'd like for us to register an existing foreign LLC in Texas, we charge a service fee of $100 (+ the filing and convenience fees described above).
Annual Filing Fees/Costs to Maintain a Texas LLC
Unlike other states, there are no fees to maintain a Texas LLC. Texas does require every LLC to file an annual report (aka a Franchise Tax Report and Public Information Report) no later than May 15th each year, but these reports are free to file.
If your LLC generates more than a certain amount (in 2022: $1.23MM in revenue in a given calendar year), the state will impose a franchise tax (aka privilege tax).
Read more about the annual costs of a Texas LLC.
Zachary Copp, Esq.
Mr. Copp is a graduate of the University of Texas at Austin and the founder of The Copp Law Firm. He has personally formed over 3,000 Texas LLCs since 2015 and was recognized as a Rising Star by SuperLawyers® for seven straight years. See full bio →